Bathrooms do not usually present the kind of flexibility that other major rooms in a house, such as living rooms, bedrooms or kitchens do. Since the space is also limited, there is only so much you can do to play around with its design. Bathrooms typically consist of a shower, sink, mirror, storage shelf and toilet. So, unless you completely remodel this area, there is hardly too much more you can do with it. The good news, however, is that you have unlimited options when it comes to accessorizing a bathroom. If you want to achieve an entirely different look, you can cleverly play with colours, lights and other accessories to blow your client’s mind away!
In this post, we tell you how to choose the right products and accessories for your bathroom.
Before you start off designing a bathroom, understand what kind of colours will suit that space. It is usually best to choose somewhat muted and pale colours and designs for this space. Bright colours or neon shades will usually never agree with this area. Also, it is advisable not to use more than three dominant colours of any design. Plan in advance the colours and shades that will go with your primary colour and then go ahead designing the room. Remember, this space is usually much smaller than the rest of the house and so, you need to understate the décor as much as possible.
Depending upon your client’s preferences, your bathroom design can be any one of the following:
- Minimalist: As the term suggests, this type of design looks elegant, yet sophisticated. It’s clean and bold, with just a couple of standalone accessories that make a statement on their own. Minimalist design makes the space look classier and more expensive, in spite of its sheer starkness.
- Cozy: This design has a gentle, warm and inviting touch to it. The colours, patterns and accessories used in this case are gentle and blend well with each other; to give that soothing, relaxing feel to the space.
- Contemporary: These bathrooms are designed to look chic and stylish. They never feature garish colours or shades and aim to bring a feel of utter opulence. To reinforce that touch of luxury, the accessories may also include a rich-looking cupboard, plush rugs, artwork, quaint lights or even vases, shelves and other curios.
Bathroom lighting; though an important aspect; is often neglected. Ensure that the space is always well-lighted, both naturally and artificially. Choose the fixtures wisely, to make sure that the lights make the area inviting and warm, but never seem over-the-top. Discuss with your client about the kind of feel they are looking to create in their bathroom and then play with the lights accordingly. Generally speaking, you need to fix at least one overhead light (fixed or suspended) and a bright enough light just above the mirror.
Every bathroom requires a good enough storage space to place toiletries, towels, toothpaste and toothbrushes, soaps and so on. First estimate the space available to you and then go ahead to design your storage space.
Bathtubs and Shower Spaces
Very small bathrooms may not give you enough space to install bathtubs. In this case, you can design stylish enclosed shower spaces. Accessorizing this area with stylish faucets, showers and curtains will add a touch of class to this area.
In case you have the space to work with, you can choose from a variety of freestanding bathtubs, which are as follows:
- Clawfoot tubs have a traditional design and are raised from the floor.
- Pedestal tubs sit on a pedestal base. You can choose from the traditional to the modern.
- Corner tubs give a cozy feel and comfortably have their back to the wall.
- Some tubs give you the option of adding on an air system and whirlpool/Jacuzzi system.
- Other tubs do not fit into any of the above categories. They stand on their own on the bathroom floor.
You can choose from a variety of bathtub materials, including fiberglass, stone, marble, ceramic tile and much, much more. Discuss with your client beforehand and then go ahead to design the tub accordingly.
With the huge variety of options available to you, accessorizing your bathroom will be a pleasurable experience. Only take care to ensure that you plan in advance, never use colours and materials that are too bright or too bold. Also, see to it that all the bathroom products and accessories that you use are consistent with your main theme and do not clash with each other at any point of time.
Arcedior is the most loved curated interior design products platform which is changing the way interior designers, architects and project owners discover and source products for their various projects.
Our user-friendly platform combines online product selection for interiors and elaborate project management along with offline sourcing support for our clients.